Felling Trailers began as a small welding shop in downtown Sauk Centre, MN in 1954 (then known as Sauk Centre Welding & Machine Works, Inc.). In the beginning, Sauk Centre Welding catered to local farmers and businesses, doing repairs, small custom welding and fabrication jobs. In 1974 a young employee (current CEO Merle J. Felling) purchased the business from the original longtime owner. Seeing a lack of quality workmanship in many of the trailers that were coming through his shop Merle started making custom trailers for a few of the local farmers. Within a short time others started noticing his quality craftsmanship and Merle launched the Felling Trailers product line in 1975.